• Do I need a study permit to study in Canada?

    In general, foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. There are a few exceptions to this rule.
    • If you plan to study in a short-term program for 6 months or less, you do not need a study permit. You may do this while holding a visitor visa.
    • If you are a member of a foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act, you do not need a permit to study in Canada.
    • If you are a citizen of another country who has Registered Indian status in Canada, you do not need a permit to study in Canada.
    • If you are a family member or staff member of a foreign representative to from the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada (DFATD), you may not need a permit to study in Canada.
  • When should I apply for my study permit?

    You should apply for a study permit as soon as you receive your letter of acceptance. The processing time for your application may vary between different visa offices.

  • How do I apply for a study permit?

    You can apply for the study permit at the Canadian visa office for your country, at a Visa Application Centre or online. If applying offline, you need to get an Application Package which includes the application guide and all the forms you need to fill out. You need to include Proof of acceptance, Proof of identity, Proof of financial support & a Letter of explanation with these forms.

    To apply online you must have access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents for uploading and have a valid credit card for payment.

  • What Additional Documents would i need for a study permit?

    After the visa office receives your application, you may need a medical certificate. A visa officer will send you instructions on how & where to find a panel physician in your country, territory or region that Citizenship and Immigration Canada has approved to do medical exams. This may take upto three months. Along with a medical certificate, you must also get a police certificate. The police certificate will be used to find out if you have a criminal record & if you are security risk to Canada.
  • What are the Embassy Fees to be paid while appling for a visa?

    Study permit application for Canada incurs an embassy fees of CAN$150 or Rs7,400/-. This fees is subject to change from time to time. To check the latest prices, click below. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/index.asp?

  • I am already in Canada and have a valid study permit. I would like to change my school or program of studies. What do I need to do to modify my study permit?

    If you are a primary school / high school student and you are moving on to high school / post-secondary level, you need to submit an application to modify your study permit at the Citizenship and Immigration Canada Case Processing Centre. But, if you are enrolled in a college program, you may change your college, level, program and field of studies without applying for a new study permit. You may continue to use your existing study permit as long as it is valid.

  • How do I renew my study permit?

    If you want to renew your study permit, you must apply before the permit expires. If your study permit has expired, you must leave Canada. In some cases, you may be able to apply for restoration of status. However, you are not allowed to study until your status has been restored.

  • Can I work while studying in Canada?

    Yes, you can work in Canada while studying & even after you graduate. You may work on-campus or off-campus without an additional work permit if you have a valid study permit & are studying full-time. But, if your study program includes an essential co-op or internship component, you will need to apply for a work permit.

  • What if I want to work in Canada after I graduate?

    To work in Canada after you graduate, you must apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). A PGWPP work permit may be issued for the length of the study program. The permit cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program, and the study program must be a minimum of eight months & maximum of three years in length.

  • Can I apply for an off-campus work permit at the same time as I apply for my study permit?

    No, you cannot apply for a study permit and an off-campus work permit at the same time. You must be a full-time student with a valid study permit for at least six of the last 12 months before you apply for an off-campus work permit.

  • How many hours can I work once I receive my off-campus work permit?

    You can work up to 20 hours per week off campus while classes are in session. You can work full time during scheduled breaks, including summer or winter holidays and reading weeks.

    You may continue to work full time after you complete your program if you have submitted an application for a post-graduation work permit.

  • Can I visit home or travel outside Canada during my studies?

    If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have a passport, your study permit and a temporary resident visa if you are a citizen of a country for which Canada requires a visa.

    If you are a citizen of a designated country, you will need a multiple-entry visa to re-enter Canada. If your temporary resident visa has expired or if your visa was only valid for a single entry, you must re-apply for a temporary resident visa at a Canadian visa office outside Canada before you can re-enter Canada. If you are visting United States, Greenland or Saint-Pierre et Miquelon then you are exempt from this procedure.

Get In Touch

  • Add: Shop No. 9, First Floor, Nehru Place, Karnal - 132001, Haryana (India)
  • Ph/Fax: 0184-4046537
  • Helpline No: +91-7876766777
  • Email: info@canadavisaconsultants.com